Monday, March 9, 2009

Paris Day 6 - Road Trip

Today was one of my favorite days. I feel like I have been stuck in the city for way too long and I am really a country girl at heart. Today we went for a beautiful drive through the French country side. It was great to see the open spaces and the cute Norman cottages. Our first stop on our road trip was Rouen. Rouen has a great cobbled old town with beautiful half-timbered buildings.

This was the oldest building in Rouen which is now the Joan of Arc museum.

One thing that Rouen is famous for is that it is the location that Joan of Arc was burned at the stake.

The flowered circle behind us is where the burning took place and the building behind us is the Joan of Arc church.

The highlight of Rouen is Monet's Notre-Dame Cathedral. This is the one he painted 20 different times to show the different effects and colours of the light shining through the intricate Gothic spires.

From Rouen, we continued our drive through the country to the costal town of Etretat. It was so nice to feel the ocean breeze and be able to enjoy this quaint little town and the amaizing cliff coast.

We tried to set up the camera to get a picture of the three of us but it didn't work so well.
This is Sean showing off the golfcorse for his dad to see.
Here is a funny story that happened while we were on the cliff. There a young woman up there with some friends enjoying the view and having a good time when all of the sudden she became the victim of a seagull practical joke. She got pooped on by 5 seagulls at one time! One right in the middle of her head and one down her jacket and one on her hand. I hate to say it but it was so funny! I felt bad watching her scream and flap her arms while her friends tried to find kleenex to help her clean up, but I could not help having a little chuckel about it on our way back down. I wanted to take a picture but that might not have been appropriate.
This town also had some great history. There were a bunch of old German bunkers along the cost from World War II.

For lunch/dinner, Sean and I shared some great sea food dishes. This was our first time trying muscles. They were actually very delicious. Good thing too because we were served a huge bucket of them.

Oh no! Poor little crab! One of these things is not like the other... I don't think this little guy was supposed to be in here.

What a fun day!

1 comment:

The Spicers said...

Wow! What a beautiful trip! I have loved reading about each day in your trip! Jason and I both had a great laugh about the girl and the seagulls! I would have laughed too had I seen it! =)